Friday, April 06, 2007

What Does Easter Mean to Me?

Hello! I hope everyone had a good week. I also hope that everyone took an opportunity to reflect on the events of Holy Week. All of the events that took place during this time frame lead up to the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior. This leads to my thoughts on Holy Week and what these events represent.

I do not focus on the death of our Lord. Instead I choose to focus on His resurrection. At any point during the events leading up to His death, He could have stopped and said "I am not going to die to save these self-centered, sin-loving people. But due to God's great love for His people............things went according to the plan He had set in motion. Things that were in place 33 years before Christ was crucified.

When one stops to think about all of the things that bring us to the resurrection, it often causes pause to consider what it must have been like for Him. Imagine being beaten, scoffed at and ridiculed. Only to hang on a cross for wretched souls like me. He could have come down off the cross at any given time had He so desired. However, if He had done that...........think of how much worse our outcome can be. Think of He felt hanging there, still pleading for us and seeking forgiveness for our own stupidity.

Think of how many years this earth was here before God put man and woman here. I imagine there are days when God sits on His throne in Heaven and says, "Why did I ever create these creatures called humans?". I'm sure He sits and scratches His head at times. I know I would. But that is the thing that makes God who He is and sets the record straight on who I am. On who we all are!

Christ died not only to save us from our sins, but for the sins of those that walked this earth before us and for those that will walk it even after we have passed on. We can never repay Him for the things He has done for us. And as the song says.....things so undeserved that He would give to prove His love for me (and for you).

So, let us not focus on the death part so much but the wonderful news of His resurrection! That's what Easter means to me.

The Easter Community Service will be held at North United Methodist Church. The sunrise service begins at 7am. Morning services at North FBC will start with Sunday School at 9am and worship at 10am. Invite someone to join you at church to reflect and fellowship with other believers this Easter day!
**There will be NO evening services Sunday, April 8th (Easter Sunday).**

The children will have an Easter Egg Hunt & pizza party Sat., April 7th from 1-4pm. Come out and join in the fun!

Men's breakfast and a quarterly church conference will take place next Sunday, April 15th. Breakfast begins at 8am in the fellowship hall. All men are invited and encourage to attend.

Don't forget about craft night each Tuesday from 6:30-8:30pm in the trailer beside Culler-McAlhany funeral home. Crafts are being made to raise money for a new church bus. Items will be sold at the Christmas bazaar taking place this year.

Helpers are needed the 3rd Sunday of the month in the nursing during the evening hours (5-7pm). If you are interested in helping out, please feel free to email me and I will be glad to supply the name of the contact person. Or you can contact the church office at 247-2711. My email address is: nricha4903@hotmail.com. The information is also on the back of the church bulletin.

I believe that covers most of what I have for now. I hope you have a great Saturday. Take care and God bless! Have a blessed Easter as well!!

Love in Christ,

Tina :-)